The money for the Rape Prevention Education Grant is allocated through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). This money is then funneled through the Center for Disease Control to each state. In North Carolina, this money is granted to 11 programs through the NC Department of Health and Human Service (NCDHHS). These programs include NCCASA and the Tier I and Tier II grantees (as listed below). NCCASA is funded to be the primary technical assistance provider for the RPE grantees in the state of North Carolina.
Tier I grantees have not been funded by the RPE grant since 2009. As part of their contract, grantees must implement a Community Readiness Assessment to gauge their community’s readiness to engage in sexual violence prevention work.
- UNC-Greensboro: Greensboro, NC, Guilford County
- The Children’s Home Society: Greensboro, NC, Guilford County
- Safe Space: Louisburg, NC, Franklin County
- Our Voice: Asheville, NC, Buncombe County
Tier II grantees have been funded for at least one grant cycle since 2009.
- UNC-Chapel Hill: Chapel Hill, NC, Orange County
- Family Violence and Rape Crisis Services: Pittsboro, NC, Chatham County
- Orange County Rape Crisis Center: Chapel Hill, NC, Orange County
- Rape Crisis Center of Robeson County: Lumberton, NC, Robeson County
- Coastal Horizons: Wilmington, NC, New Hanover County and Brunswick County
- OASIS, Inc.: Boone, NC, Watauga County