– Applies to corrections facilities nationwide
– Comprehensive set of guidelines related to all aspects of custodial sexual abuse:
- Monitoring and Data Collection
– A three (3) year audit compliance process
– One third of each type of facility operated by an agency, or private organization on behalf of any agency, audited every year.
– Audits began August 2013
PREA Resources for download:
PREA Resource Links:
PREA – The North Carolina Approach
Download this document here.
PREA Advocacy & Advisory Board:
Tricia Smar, NCCASA, email@example.com
Robin Colbert, NCCASA, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristen Howe, NCCASA, email@example.com
Region A (Western)
Ashe County Partnership for Children /A Safe Home for Everyone (ASHE)
Our Voice, Inc., Buncombe
Buncombe County Detention Facility, Buncombe
Macon County Sheriff’s Office, Macon
Safe, Inc., Transylvania
Region B (Northwestern)
Family Services of the Piedmont, Guilford
Orange County Rape Crisis Center
Help, Inc., Rockingham County
Region C (Southwestern)
Safe Alliance, Mecklenburg
Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, Mecklenburg
Esther’s House, Stanly/Cabarrus
Rape Crisis Center of Catawba, Catawba/Alexander/Lincoln/Gaston
Alexander County Sheriff’s Office, Alexander
Region D (Central)
Durham Crisis Response Center, Durham
Region E (Southeastern)
Families First, Inc, Bladen/Columbus
Promise Place, Craven/Pamlico/Jones
Carteret County Rape Crisis, Carteret
Rape Crisis Center of Coastal Horizons Center, Inc., New Hanover/Brunswick
Region F (Northeastern)
REAL Crisis Intervention, Pitt/Martin/Washington/Beaufort
My Sister’s House, Nash/Edgecombe
Charlotte Jordan-Williams, NC PREA Administrator, Charlotte.Williams@ncdps.gov
Bernetta Thigpen, Council for Women Northern Piedmont Region Director
PREA Advocacy & Advisory Board Responsibilities
Purpose: In Collaboration with NCCASA, Develop the Partnership, Process, and Preparation needed for PREA Implementation & Victim Advocacy Services
Members: Local Rape Crisis Centers, Correction Officials, Allied Professionals
Responsibilities: Program Development and Training Consultation
Partnerships: Mirror statewide approach within region
- Provide guidance to RCCs, Correction Officials, Allied Professionals and to Community Organizations.
- Assist in educational & training needs that include but not limited to, workshops, roundtables, seminars, trainings & presentations
- Create samples of standardize forms, letters, and other resource documents
- Distribute information to community at large regarding PREA.
- Collect and provide NCCASA with local and region information for the purposes of determining needs and work collaboratively with NCCASA to advocate for change.
- Engage in systems advocacy as needed for individuals and groups.
- Provide referrals to resources.
- Attend conferences, education seminars, webinar, and trainings.
- Remain current on local, regional, state, and federal resources.
- Serve on boards and task forces to further PREA goals.