Screening Licensed Counselors

The following table contains information about many of the statewide contacts you can use to locate and screen a licensed conselor, and to understand the different qualifications required for various types of counselors. It is always advisable to contact the relevant licensing board of the service provider you are interested in to screen for complaints and to ensure that the provider’s license is valid. Note that some counseling services are provided by non-licensed persons and may be very helpful, such as support group facilitators, faith-based counselors, and crime victim service providers. However, keep in mind that non-licensed providers do not have a licensing board monitoring them to ensure that they meet minimum qualifications, obtain continuing education, and comply with a code of ethics. If you are unsure whether your service provider is licensed, be sure to ask and find out more about their qualifications.




Social Workers:Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)Certified Social Work Manager (CSWM)Certified Master of Social Work (CMSW)

Certified Social Worker (CSW)


DSW (Doctoral degree) or MSW (Masters) & 2 years clinical experience For CSWM:
DSW or MSW or BSW (Bachelors) & 2 years clinical experience


For CSW:

NC Social Work Certification & Licensure Board
P.O. Box 1043
Asheboro, NC 27204
(336) 625-1679
(800) 550-7009
Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) Masters degree in counseling or equivalent related graduate degree &
2 years of clinical experience
NC Board of Licensed Professional Counselors
P.O.Box 1369
Garner, NC 27529
(919) 661-0820
Certified Marital & Family Therapists (CMFT) Masters degree in marital & family therapy or equivalent related graduate degree & 2 years post-graduate clinical experience NC Marital & Family Therapy Licensure Board
P.O. Box 37669
Raleigh, NC 27627
(919) 772-6600
Fee-Based Pastoral Counselors Ordained pastor & Masters or Doctoral degree of Divinity or Pastoral Counseling or equivalent graduate degree & clinical experience NC State Board of Fee-Based Pastoral Counselors
P.O. Box 2227
Welcome, NC 27374
(336) 794-3470
Licensed Psychologists (PhD) Doctoral degree in Psychology & 1 year post-doctoral clinical experience NC Psychological Association
1004 Dresser Court, Suite 106
Raleigh, NC 27609
(919) 872-1005
Psychiatrists (MD)(Note: Only psychiatrists and other physicians can prescribe medication for you.) MD or DO & 3-4 years psychiatric residency NC Medical Board
P.O. Box 20007
Raleigh, NC 27619
(919) 326-1100
(800) 253-9653
Substance Abuse Counselors:Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) 

Certified Clinical Addiction Specialist (CCAS)


Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS)


Certified Substance Abuse Prevention Consultant (CSAPC)



Certified Substance Abuse Residential Facility Director (CSARFD)



3 years treatment facility experience & 270 hours of training in substance abuse counseling; 12 hours of HIV/AIDS education; &  6 hours of ethics education


Masters degree in a human services field & 2 years supervised experience


For CCS:
2 years as CSAC or CCAS & Masters degree in a human services field


Bachelors degree & 2 years experience; or 3 years experience, 270 hours substance abuse & HIV/AIDS education, & 300 hours of supervised experience


CSARFD certification & 50 hours of training & must already be a certified counselor

NC Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board
P.O. Box 10126
Raleigh, NC 27605
(919) 832-0975

Jennifer Brobst, Legal Director & Tamsin Woolley, NCCU Intern rev. 6/29/10
Center for Child and Family Health (